The Cape Eleuthera Island School (CEIS), a not-for-profit organization based in The Bahamas, was founded to create and support transformational educational experiences with the vision of leadership effecting change, on the island of Eleuthera. The diverse CEIS educational initiatives, including our Island School Semester and Summer Term, our Deep Creek Middle School, our Elementary Learning Center, and our Community Engagement and Partnerships, deliver unique educational journeys in partnership with the authentic and meaningful work our organization undertakes in research, sustainable development and innovation at the Cape Eleuthera Institute.
The Cape Eleuthera Island School is looking for an experienced Diesel Mechanic to maintain an entire fleet of diesel vehicles, boats, and equipment across our campuses. The successful candidate will report to the Facilities Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess vehicle and equipment condition by conducting regular inspections and diagnostic tests, identifying worn and damaged parts
- Performing preventive maintenance according to regular service intervals
- Resolving vehicle deficiencies according the needs of the organization
- Thorough knowledge of all vehicle systems and assemblies, including engine, transmission, lubrication, breaks, power and drive trains, electrical, fuel systems, air conditioning, emissions, steering, hydraulics
- Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
- Maintains thorough maintenance logs by recording all services, inspections, and repairs.
- Maintains a fully functional, clean, and presentable shop space, including organized tools, equipment maintenance following operating instructions, and maintaining a full inventory of parts and supplies
- Efficiently avoids unnecessary expenditure by using available warranties
- Commitment to advancing job skills and knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, professional development, and reading technical and regulatory publications.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Certification and formal training from an accredited post-secondary education is preferred
- Five years applicable work experience
- Experience with marine diesel engines is preferred
- Takes direction well, receives and utilizes constructive feedback
- Ability to listen and willingness to learn
- Maintains a positive attitude and high level of integrity
- Verbal and written communication skills, moderate computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to adhere to a structured schedule and maintain an organized work environment
- Ability to read and interpret documents
Able to survive and thrive in a small, tight-knit, green, sustainable campus community, located in a remote part of The Bahamas with a “can-do” attitude to address challenges and opportunities of such a place.
This is a full-time position with an annual review, and the potential for extension depending on circumstances. The Cape Eleuthera Island School and its related entities operate year round and working hours vary depending on needs but are typically Monday-Friday (40 hours/week), however, evening and weekend work may be required. The successful candidate should expect, and desire to work a variable and mission driven schedule.
Applicants should submit the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application that states career interests, why you would like to work for the Cape Eleuthera Island School and your relevant experience and qualifications for the position
- Current resume
- Three references (to include name, address, telephone number and email address) familiar with the applicant's work
This is a full-time, year-long position. Preference will be given to suitably qualified Bahamians.