JOB TITLE: Metrologist (Engineer, Grade Level III)
TYPE OF VACANCY: Staff
REPORTS TO: Director of BBSQ
DEPARTMENT: Industrial Metrology
SUMMARY: The incumbent will report to the Director and is responsible for contributing to the fulfillment of all organizational goals. The individual will be responsible for conducting calibrations, and verification services, and participating in all metrology and metrology related activities at The Bahamas Bureau of Standards and Quality (BBSQ). This individual must be able to multitask and may be required to travel on occasion.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:Physical Demands
- Conduct metrology activities to include calibrations, verifications, testing of equipment, and training within the Metrology Department; also prepare calibration certificates where required.
- Develop the technical capacity of the BBSQ in Metrology.
- Adhere to the quality system of the Metrology Department.
- Maintain all records of the assigned metrology unit and the database of weighing and measuring devices used in the trade of goods and services.
- Represent The Commonwealth of The Bahamas in Regional Committees, cooperation schemes, forums, working groups and/or networks as assigned by the Director.
- To conduct comparative tests between the National Standards and the Working Standards used in the Metrology Department of the BBSQ.
- Maintain the operation, quality and traceability of national metrology standards.
- Performing related duties as assigned by the Director.
Person SpecificationsMinimum Education and Experience
- Need to lift large heavy weights up to 20 kg.
- Ability to work for long hours.
- Ability to work outdoors for long hours.
- Ability to work in temperature demands which could include working at 20oC or even at times in hot and dusty industrial environments.
- Be research oriented.
Other Skills/ Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Engineering (mechanical, physical, electrical, chemical, or
- similar) or in the Physical Sciences/Mathematics, from a recognized accredited institution.
- At least one year of experience working in a relevant technical field or laboratory.
- Computer literacy is required, with a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Strong verbal and written English is required.
- Knowledge of ISO 17025 and related standards would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Metrology, Quality Assurance, Standardization, Conformity Assessment,
- Certification and Accreditation would be an asset.
Salary range: $47,416.67 - $ 55,116.67 X $700 per annum, without engineer’s certification.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with groups of diverse
- Superior organization and priority management skills.
- Excellent verbal/written communications skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail in analysis.
- Ability to work with direction as well as take initiative to move projects forward.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
Salary commensurates with qualifications and experience. Successful applicants will be appointed on contract. Click here to apply online
The contract appointment shall be at a fixed salary and would include a gratuity of fifteen percent (15%) of total salary (excluding allowances) received during the contract period and payable on satisfactory completion of the contract.